Johnson & Johnson Baby Products BAD!

Written by


So your baby is born. Your happy, healthy and on your way with parent hood. Your child comes down with dry skin so you go to the local store and pick up some baby lotion. Of course you go with a brand name that you trust. Johnson & Johnson. A name that has been around for years. There products work and are safe. Or so you figure because your parents used them on you growing up.

Here is where you are wrong. Don’t trust a name just because they have been around for 30, 40 or 80 years. Companies change ingredients all the time. And many times use new ingredients which are yet to have been tested thoroughly enough to prove no side effects come from them in 5, 10 or 40 years.

If you have read any previous articles on this site. You might have seen the one about Parabens and the damage they can cause to the endocrine system. What is the endocrine system you might be asking. Well in a simple summary it is what controls testosterone and estrogen and helps regulate all that with it. It affects a BIG part of your life and ever day living.

I was using Johnson and Johnson Nourishing Milk Lotion on our son until I read the ingredients and seen what was in it. Here is a list
of the bad things I know of currently.

  • Dimethicone
  • Fragrance
  • Methylparaben
  • Butylparaben
  • Ethylparaben
  • Propylparaben
  • Isobutylparaben

Those are just a few of the ingredients I know of that cause harm in various ways to your children and your own self if you use these products.

Here is what they do.
Dimethicone
A silicone derived emolient. Silicone emollients are occlusive – that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.)
Recent studies have indicated that prolonged exposure of the skin to sweat, by occlusion, causes skin irritation. Some synthetic emollients are known tumour promoters and accumulate in the liver and lymph nodes. They are also non-biodegradable, causing negative environmental impact.

  • Dimethicone
  • Dimethicone Copolyol
  • Cyclomethicone

Silicone was and still is used as breast implants. Tens of thousands of women with breast implants have complained of debilitating symptoms. Anecdotal evidence indicates silicone to be toxic to the human body. For more detailed information on the dangers of silicone simply key “silicone toxicity” into the Google search engine.

Parabens
Paraben preservatives (methyl, propyl, butyl, and ethyl).
Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Highly toxic.

From Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS):
EMERGENCY OVERVIEW:
WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC SKIN REACTION.
SKIN CONTACT: CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN. SYMPTOMS INCLUDE REDNESS, ITCHING, AND PAIN. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC SKIN REACTIONS.
EYE CONTACT: CAUSES IRRITATION, REDNESS, AND PAIN.

Parabens are also known to make you retain fat! YES THAT IS RIGHT. YOUR PRODUCTS ARE KEEPING OR MAKING YOU FAT!

This world needs to change. It should not just be about money and making a profit. It is time for everyone to take action. Start reading the labels on products you buy. If you don’t know what it is. Or cannot find out. DON’T BUY IT! There are safer natural alternatives that do not cause harm to you or your children.

Do one simple thing this week and it will change your life. Make a habit of reading ingredients on everything you buy. Become educated and don’t let companies poison us anymore.

Did you ever think that these companies might have a stack in making us sick? Johnson & Johnson make many products that treat disease. Breast disease and more. Take notice, take action!

Posted on: January 23, 2007

Filed under: news

Comments (2)

alasda

October 10th, 2009 at 2:03 am    


Great article! The awareness of just how dangerous these products can be needs to be brought to light. Do you really know what you’re putting on your baby’s skin? Or your own? Just a little Fyi, if you put a clove of garlic between your toes, you can taste it in your mouth within 15 minutes- go ahead, try it. The skin is our largest organ and absorbs anything we put on it- so lets make sure we educate ourselves on what we are using. I am an advocate for pure, safe, and beneficial products. I also believe in increasing public awareness. There are 450 chemicals banned in Europe, all of which are found in US products. The products in which I represent are botanically based and free of these parabens, chemical fragrance, dyes, and are also certified vegan. It’s too bad that even the most trusted, largest institutions are not educated on the products that they promote and falsely have people trusting and believing in. Knowledge is power.

Dene

March 29th, 2010 at 10:38 am    


The use of parabens as preservatives has nothing to do with profit. They are used because they work effectively and safely. The cost of the preservative in any final product is so tiny that it is no argument to suggest they are used purely on a cost basis. Parabens have caused A FEW skin reactions, generally less so than most other preservatives. It is incorrect to describe them as highly toxic. Please provide evidence to back up this claim, as it is far too easy to make scary statements, but without any evidence to support them, they are meaningless. I would be very interested to see the reference to the study that parabens make you fat. I have seen some silly comments about parabens in my time, but this must rank as one of the silliest. Sorry to be so blunt, but that one is beyond belief! The information you quote from the MSDS refers to the neat parabens. The effects in their concentrated form bear no relation to their safety when used in products. This is a poor scare tactic. You would not sprinkle glacial acetic acid on your food would you? It is highly corrosive, so I would not recommend it! However, in dilute form, it is perfectly safe and adds taste to your meal. It’s called vinegar. Your scare stories may cause concern amongst many scientifically naive consumers, but they are based on inaccurate information, and I think you should question the morality of spreading false information in this way.

A note to Alasda – may I suggest that, if you make statements of fact, that you actually check your facts first. The skin is indeed the largest organ in the body, but it does NOT absorb anything we put on it. This statement is simply completely wrong. One of the major functions of the skin is to do precisely the opposite of what you claim – it is a barrier to most things. If you stop and think about the logic of what you said, I hope you will see that this can’t possibly be true! Some things are absorbed through the skin, but it is a complete myth to suggest that everything is – we would not survive in the womb if this were the case, never mind after birth! There are NOT 450 chemicals banned in Europe that are used in US products, This is more nonsense bandied around the internet, I’m afraid. There ARE chemicals banned in the EU, but very few of them have ever been used in cosmetics.
If all these chemicals were as dangerous as blogs like this claim, the majority of the population of the western world would be terminally ill, or dead. There is far too much hysteria over cosmetics – it is unneccesary. The vast majority of cosmetics are safe. The least safe ones tend to be the ones made up by small, one-man bands that don’t understand the chemistry, or the industry. I care about the safety of the consumer – I am one, and my family and friends are too – but this sort of misinformation doesn’t help anyone. Knowledge is, indeed, power. You don’t appear to know very much, I’m afraid. I don’t like to be so rude, but there are too many people pretending to quote facts, when they really haven’t a clue what they are takling about. I will more than happily pursue any correspondance with regard to any claim or statement I have made here.

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.